Arthur Briston APD-97 - History

Arthur Briston APD-97 - History

Arthur L. Bristol

Arthur LeRoy Bristol, Jr.-born in Charleston, S.C., on 15 July 1886-entered the Naval Academy on 23 September 1902 and graduated with the Class of 1906. After the prescribed two years of sea duty, which he served in the predreadnought Illinois (Battleship No. 7), he received his commission as ensign in 1908. Transferred to Mayflower in 1909 9, he remained in that Presidential yacht until ordered to Berlin, Germany, in January 1912 for a ear and one-half as a naval attache. In June 1913 returned home to command the new destroyer Cummings (Destroyer No. 44) upon her completion at Bath Iron Works. A year later, he received the concurrent command of Terry (Destroyer No. 25) and the 2d Division, Reserve Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet. He then briefly commanded Jarvis (Destroyer No. 38).

Late in 1915, Bristol was assigned the duties of aide and torpedo officer on the staff of Commander, Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet and, in the winter of 1916, he became aide and Rag secretary to the Commander, Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet. In the summer of 1917, soon after the United States entered World War I, he became aide and flag secretary for Commander, Cruiser Force, Atlantic Fleet. After serving in that capacity into the following winter, Bristol was awarded the Navy Cross for his service as flag secretary and acting chief of staff to Commander, Cruiser and Transport Force. While holding that post, he worked closely with Army authorities in the handling of troopship movements. Later, as flag secretary for the Commander, Cruiser and Transport Force, he earned the Distinguished Service Medal. Going ashore in February 1918, he la in Washington through the end of World War I and into the spring of 1919 on duty in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

Bristol then commanded Breckinridge (DD-148) and Overton (DD-239) in succession, serving in the latter during that ship's operations in the Black Sea during the capitulation of White Russian forces to the Bolsheviks in November 1920. For his services rendered during the evacuation of the Crimea, a grateful Russian vernment-in-exile presented him with the Order of St. Stanislav, III Class.

Detached from Overton in August 1921, Bristol again served in Washington attached to the General Board and then went to Philadelphia to assist in the decommissioning of destroyers. A course of instruction at the Naval War College in Newport, R. I., occupied him from July 1922 to May 1923, and he next served as an instructor on the staff of that institution from May 1923 to May 1924. Following a brief tour as aide for Commander, Scouting Fleet, he sailed to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to join the American naval mission there.

Reporting to the battleship Arizona (BB-39) in February 1927, Bristol served as executive officer of that dreadnought until April of the following year and then moved to the Naval Air Station (NAS), San Diego, Calif. for aviation instruction. Following further flight training at NAS, Pensacola, Fla., he was designated a naval aviator and was sent to the Asiatic Fleet, where he served as commanding officer of the seaplane tender Jason (AV-2) and later, as Commander, Aircraft Squadrons, Asiatic Fleet.

Detached in the spring of 1931, he checked in briefly at the Office of Naval Intelligence in Washington before proceeding on to the United Kingdom to become naval attache in London on I October 1931. A brief stop in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations upon his return from England in the spring of 1934 preceded his traveling to the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., as prospective commanding officer of the new aircraft carrier Ranger (CV-4).

The inal commanding officer of the Navy's first aircraft original carrier to built as such from the keel up, Bristol took Ranger to South American waters on shakedown and commandedher thereafter until June 1936, when he became Commanding Officer, NAS, San Diego. During the latter tour, he served on the Hepburn Board, participating in the investigations into suitable base sites in the United States and its possessions.

Becoming Commander, Patrol Wing 2, at Pearl Harbor, T. H., on 27 July 1939, Bristol was given flag rank on 1 August and, the following summer, became Comm mander Carrier Division 1. He then served as Commander, Aircraft, Scouting Force (18 September to 12 October 1940), and as Commander, Patrol Wings, United States Fleet (12 October 1940 to 23 January 1941) before reporting to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations on 25 January 1941.

With increasing American alarm over the course of the Battle of the Atlantic, the Roosevelt administration took steps to aid the British. To help escort convoys across the Atlantic, the Navy established the Support Force, Atlantic Fleet, and based it at Newport, R.I. On 1 March 1941, Rear Admiral Bristol became the Force's first commander. He held this important position throughout the tense, undeclared war with Germany in the summer and autumn of 1941 and through America's entry into the global conflict on 7 December of that year. Designated vice admiral on 27 February 1942, Bristol remained in that important command until he suffered a fatal heart attack at Argentia, Newfoundland, on 27 April 1942.

(APD-97: dp. 2,130; 1. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 15", 6 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 dct.; el. Charles Lawrence)

Arthur L. Bristol (DE-281) was laid down on 1 December 1943 at the Charleston (S.C.) Navy Yard; launched on 19 February 1944; sponsored by Miss Ellen Wing Getty, who had been chosen for this honor by the brother of the late Vice Admiral Bristol; redesignated APD-97 on 17 July 1944 as the result of the decision to complete the ship as a fast transport instead of as a destroyer escort; and commissioned at her builders' yard on 25 June 1945, Lt. Comdr. Morris Beerman, USNR, in command.

After fitting out, Arthur L. Bristol proceeded to Guantanamo Bay Cuba, where she carried out shakedown training from 13 to 7 August 1945. After a brief post-shakedown availability a Norfolk, the fast transport arrived at the Naval Training Center, Miami, early in September. Arthur L. Bristol operate in the Florida Keys and in Cuban waters as a training ship for student officers for the rest of her active career.

Ordered to Mobile, Ala., on 31 October, Arthur L. Bristol was drydocked there before shifting to the Naval Repair Base, Algiers, La., to commence preinactivation preservation. Assigned to the 163d Transport Division, 18th Transport Squadron, SubGroup 4, Florida Group, 16th Fleet, on I December, Arthur L. Bristol was berthed at Green Cove Spring gs, Fla., in the St. John's River berthing area, where she was decommissioned on 29 April 1946.

Never returning to active service, Arthur L. Bristol was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 June 1964 and sold for scrap the following summer. She was transferred to her purchaser, the Boston Metals Corp., Baltimore, Md., on 4 August 1965 and removed from naval custody that day.


Arthur Briston APD-97 - History

This page provides the hull numbers of all U.S. Navy escort ships numbered in the DE series from 200 through 399, with links to those ships with photos available in the Online Library.

See the list below to locate photographs of individual escort ships.

If the escort ship you want does not have an active link on this page, contact the Photographic Section concerning other research options.

Left Column --
Escort Ships numbered
DE-200 through DE-299:

  • DE-200 : Neuendorf (1943-1967)
  • DE-201 : James E. Craig (1943-1969)
  • DE-202 : Eichenberger (1943-1973)
  • DE-203 : Thomason (1943-1969)
  • DE-204 : Jordan (1943-1947)
  • DE-205 : Newman (1943-1966), later APD-59
  • DE-206 : Liddle (1943-1968), later APD-60
  • DE-207 : Kephart (1944-1967), later APD-61
  • DE-208 : Cofer (1944-1968), later APD-62
  • DE-209 : Lloyd (1944-1968), later APD-63


Williams & Anderson

Williams & Anderson were well established wood carvers that started in the ship-carving tradition. They also went under the names J. R. Anderson (1889 - 1900) and Arthur Ernest Anderson (1919) (UoG, 2011)

Arthur Anderson was the son of John Anderson of 3 Commercial Row, Hotwells, finest of the woodcarvers who made figureheads for the sailing ships that once filled Bristol Harbour. The Andersons' uncles, the Williams brothers, had carved figureheads for most of the wooden ships built in Bristol during the 1840s and 50s, including the figurehead for the s.s. Demerara.

By the time Arthur joined the business, the market for ships figureheads was nearly dead so he turned to carving fairground carousel figures instead. He turned out dozens of superb animals for fairs all over Britain until the business closed in 1936, and it is said that English fairground horse also died at this point.

On July 28, 1936 the estate of Arthur Anderson was sold at auction by a local company William Cowlin and Son, Princess Victoria Street, Clifton.

According to the National Fairground Archive:


"Their carved Galloper mounts were known for the burgeoning scrollwork under the animal's belly, complete with Italianate grotesque grins upon its flanks and a flying ribbon frozen onto the neck, lettered with name of a famous horse or friend. Later worked transmogrified even further, with animals heads carved into the body work creating a dream-like, surreal effect similar to the uncomfortable prose and jarring effects written by Lautreamont who twists the rules of nature to create fanciful cross-breeds and representations" (Cameron, 2009).

The photograph shows the final location of the workshop at Rownham Place, which was on the junction of Hotwell Road with the Cumberland Basin.


Arthur Briston APD-97 - History

This USS Arthur L. Bristol APD-97 License Plate Frame is proudly made in the USA at our facilities in Scottsboro, Alabama. Each of our MilitaryBest U.S. Navy Frames feature top and bottom Poly Coated Aluminum strips that are printed using sublimation which gives these quality automobile military frames a beautiful high gloss finish.

Please check your state and local regulations for compatibility of these Navy Frames for use on your vehicle.

A percentage of the sale of each MilitaryBest item is forwarded to the licensing departments of each respective branch of service in support of the MWR (Morale, Welfare, & Recreation) program. These payments are made by either ALL4U LLC or the wholesaler from where the item originated. Our team thanks you for your service and your support of these programs.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE


Arthur P. Becker was born in Bristol, Connecticut USA in 1950, and is an entrepreneur, investor as well as a real estate developer, who is renowned for being the former Chief Executing Officer of communication company NaviSite, Inc. as well as of the Zinio LLC distribution service company. He is also widely recognized as an ex-husband of famous fashion designer Vera Wang.

Have you ever wondered how much wealth this American businessman has accumulated so far? How rich Arthur Becker is? According to sources, it is estimated that the total of Arthur Becker’s net worth, as of late 2017, revolves around the sum of $9 million which has been acquired through his business career, active since 1986.

Arthur Becker Net Worth $9 Million

Becker grew up in Bristol, Connecticut, before moving to Bennington, Vermont, and attending Bennington College from which he graduated in 1972, after which he spent some time in a Buddhist monastery before enrolling at Dartmouth College’s Amos Tuck School of Business Administration in Hanover, New Hampshire, where he deepened his knowledge. He really began his professional career in 1986, as a stockbroker for the Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. for which he later served as the director also, before leaving the company in 1993. One of his first business enterprises was owning two macadamia nut orchards in Hawaii in the late 1980s. Subsequently, Arthur founded ClearBlue Technologies, Inc., and these ventures provided the basis for Arthur Becker’s current net worth.

In the early 2000s, Arthur began buying smaller technology companies and investing in tech development, using his ClearBlue Technologies as a parent company and as an investment fund. After acquiring a controlling stake of the NaviSite, Inc., Becker became its president and CEO, and in the course of the next eight years managed to establish the company among the leaders of web and data hosting services, and application management firms. After stepping out from the chairman position but remaining active as a board member, Arthur is one of the people who arranged the Time Warner Cable’s acquiring of NaviSite for a total of $230 million. These enterprises certainly made an impact on the total of Arthur Becker’s wealth as well.

In 2012, Becker briefly served as the CEO and the chairman of the Zinio LLC, a digital magazine distribution service, before he became engaged in the real estate business. As a member of several real-estate giant companies such as the Property Markets Group, Ambase Corporation and the JDS Development Group, Arthur has been a quiet investor, primarily focused on New York City’s district of SoHo. All these endeavors have helped Arthur Becker to dramatically increase the size of his net worth.

Apart from all those already mentioned above, Becker is also the co-founder of the Atlantic Investors LLC and has also been serving as the managing board member of the Madison Technologies LLC. However, besides business, Arthur is also an avid art collector and a bit of an artist himself – he owns a collection of ancient African currencies, origami money figures and sculptures which he also occasionally creates. Doubtlessly, all these accomplishments have made a significant impact on the total of Arthur Becker’s wealth.

When it comes to his personal life, Becker was romantically connected to the acclaimed fashion designer Vera Wang. The two met back in the early 1980s, and after several years of “on-and-off” relationship eventually married in 1989. Before filing for an amicable separation in 2012, Arthur also served as the senior advisor for Vera’s fashion enterprise for seven years. They have welcomed two adopted daughters together.


Vermont Historical Society

The Vermont Historical Society engages both Vermonters and "Vermonters at heart" in the exploration of our state's rich heritage. Our purpose is to reach a broad audience through our outstanding collections, statewide outreach, and dynamic programming. We believe that an understanding of the past changes lives and builds better communities.

UPDATE: The Leahy Library is now open for research by appointment only.
Email or call to schedule a visit:

[email protected]
802-479-8509.

The Museum is now open. Please review our COVID-19 guidelines before visiting.
Current Hours: Wednesday- Saturday 10 am - 4 pm

Visitor guidelines and requirements are made in conjunction with mandates and recommendations from the State of Vermont and are subject to change. Thank you for your understanding.

COVID-19 Archive

Contribute your experiences with the COVID-19 pandemic

Support Vermont History

Your support, in any form or amount, is integral to helping advance our mission.


Catalogue description Harveys of Bristol

Administrative, estate, financial, historical, and personal records of Harveys including subsidiary companies such as Cockburn Smithes and Co Ltd, William Perry Wine Merchants Ltd, Stewart and Son of Dundees Ltd and european companies.

Corporate records: Minutes, Memoranda and articles of agreement, estates, legal, shares, reports and correspondence

Financial records: Finance.

Management records: Staff, sales, marketing, production, stock and Purchasing, fabric and plans.

Illustrative material: Photographs, historical and printed material.

Allied material: Personal, Viniana (wine-related material) and miscellaneous records.

John Harvey and Sons, 1815-1945 Bristol wine merchants

John Harvey and Sons Ltd, 1945-1960 Bristol wine merchants

Harveys of Bristol 1960- Bristol wine merchants

This collection does not represent the entire Harveys family and company archive, much of which was lost on the night of 24 November 1940 when the historic Denmark Street premises, apart from the cellars with their precious wine reserves, were destroyed during an air raid, abruptly marking the end of a golden age. The premises were subsequently rebuilt and officially re-opened on 15 July 1954, heralding a new and promising era for the company in its resurrected headquarters under the chairmanship of John St Clair Harvey, John Harvey IV, great-grandson of the founder. Within a decade, however, the company, now Harveys of Bristol Ltd and directed by George McWalters, the elder grandson of Edward Arthur Harvey, chairman from 1900 to 1910, had moved to its new out-of-town premises where it remained for almost thirty years. Other records are believed to have gone astray during the return of the firm's offices from Whitchurch Lane to their former Denmark Street home in 1989, following the cessation of sherry production in the United Kingdom as the result of corporate relocation to Spain.

Nevertheless, the records that survive are of considerable interest to business, social, local, family, and even maritime historians, besides their more obvious appeal to wine enthusiasts. An almost complete set of the navy list from 1800, to 1956, a prized possession of Harveys Portsmouth office, exemplifies the diversity and interest of the records, as well as illustrating the company's long association with the Royal Navy. This mutually rewarding relationship was to continue with its dedicated supply to the Royal Yacht Britannia throughout the ship's service.


A seismic change occurred in Bristol’s burials in the mid-nineteenth century as a direct consequence of the national 1848 Public Health Act.

John Latimer (1824-1904) was a contemporary journalist who later wrote several volumes on Bristol’s history covering 1601 to 1900. Latimer suggests that by the 1830s the population of Bristol was about twelve times greater than it had been in the mediaeval times. However, the land available for burial had not increased significantly.

The parish churchyards together with a few small private and denominational burial grounds were insufficient and many of them were no longer fit for purpose and clearly a health hazard. Thus the 1848 Public Health Act required the closure of most of the inner-city churchyards by 1854 and alternative provision became necessary.


Global Biopharmaceutical Company - Bristol Myers Squibb

Learn more about the Black Organization for Leadership and Development (BOLD) podcast series, BOLD Innovators, that highlights BMS leaders and their career journeys.

Hear from a cancer patient and our employees about the impact of innovation in cancer and how we are working to empower all cancer patients to have a better future.


Ghosts of Bristol’s shameful slave past haunt its graceful landmarks

Bristol University was founded with money given by tobacco baron Henry Overton Mills, but now students are upset by what they claim are his links to the slave trade. Photograph: Simon Montgomery/Getty Images

Bristol University was founded with money given by tobacco baron Henry Overton Mills, but now students are upset by what they claim are his links to the slave trade. Photograph: Simon Montgomery/Getty Images

Last modified on Sat 2 Dec 2017 03.24 GMT

M ark Horton sits on a bench in Bristol’s Queen Square pointing at the elegant Georgian houses surrounding him. “There’s one!” he exclaims, as if there is a danger that the house will disappear from view. “And there, that was a slave trader’s house. And that one, that one had slaves in it!”

Horton, a professor at Bristol University, approaches the house, once the home to the trader Henry Bright, who owned a slave named “Bristol”, and points to some holes at ground level, like tiny portholes. “Haha,” he says, his enthusiasm getting the better of him, “that’s probably where they would have lived.”

For the city of Bristol, home to happiness, hipsters, rising property prices and austerity, has an under-acknowledged history: slavery. Last week, students at the University of Bristol launched a petition to remove the Wills name from the Wills Memorial Building, the institution’s principal and most visible structure, the last gothic hurrah of imperial Britain, all thrusting buttresses and vaulted ceilings standing proud at the top of Park Row in the centre of the city.

Henry Overton Wills ran WD & HO Wills between 1846 and 1880, before the company merged with others in 1901 to form Imperial Tobacco, the world’s fourth-largest cigarette company. In 1908, Wills, then aged 80, promised £100,000 to fund a university for the city. The following year, with the university granted a royal charter, Wills was named as its first chancellor. The building was opened in 1925 as a memorial to Wills by his sons, George and Henry Wills IV.

Arguing that Wills became chancellor “after financing the university with slave-profited money”, the petitioners challenge the institution “to uphold its commitment to diversity and inclusivity and revise the name of the building … let us break free from Bristol’s homogeneous toleration of slave profiteers and name the building after somebody the entire university population can be proud of”.

But the allegation that Wills made its money from slave-grown tobacco is disputed both by Imperial and by scholars. “It’s good that we have these little debates,” says Horton, “there’s nothing students like better than a political controversy but the slavery connection isn’t that strong with Wills. The truth is that we may never know.”

Sitting on a square of lawn outside the Wills Memorial Building on a bright, blustery Friday lunchtime, Samuel March, a second-year computer science student at the university, puts his lunch aside to consider the proposition. “My understanding is that they weren’t slave traders,” he says. “The petition isn’t going to achieve anything, it’s pointless, like they’re trying to change history. And anyway,” he adds, “I don’t use the building very often. It’s for the lawyers.”

Kellie Horder, who works nearby, was more sympathetic to the petition, which by Saturday had attracted 516 supporters. “I can understand it,” she says. “I get why people would be pissed off about the name. It’s terrible. Let’s not give the name that power any more. The petition provokes a conversation about why things were wrong. I like it if conversations are had about it. History isn’t a reliable thing, it’s a narrative someone wants to tell.”

The Great Wills Memorial Building Brouhaha, as it may come to be known, comes in the wake of the furore over the statue of Cecil Rhodes in Oxford. It also has a companion in the form of what locals are prone to term “the Colston issue”, the debate that has been rumbling away since the late 1990s over the suitability of the name of the philanthropist, merchant and slave trader Edward Colston adorning the facade of city institutions, from schools to a window in the cathedral to, most notably, a city-centre statue and the city’s leading music venue, the Colston Hall. With the venue undergoing a major refurbishment, the time is right, argue many, for a change of name.

“I just don’t feel comfortable in that place, don’t go in there,” says Ros Martin. “But you know, it matters. Come on! We’re artists, this is important! We’re talking about trading on the profits of a 17th-century slave merchant.”

For Martin, a prolific local writer and artist who has been central in voicing opposition to the Colston name through the Countering Colston website, it’s about more than a name.

“It’s about the psychology of the city,” she says, “what we tell ourselves about ourselves. Quite often people don’t know about the history of the city, or because we are bequeathed the city like it is, we just pass through it because this is what we’ve been left. But what do we want to leave? It would be good if we thought about what we want to bequeath.”

Colston, Wills and the rest – and there are many others in a city whose past is predicated on the efficiency of slavery – provide the key to unlocking the history of Bristol, to illuminating what went before. “The bottom line is about the memory of our African ancestors and how they are being remembered,” says Martin. “There are missing voices.”

The memorials to those voices, the reminders that the city is so dependent on the slave trade for its wealth and status, are scarce: two plaques (one at ankle height, the other privately funded), a footbridge and a subdued display at M Shed, a city museum, occupying a corner of a gallery on the first floor. Yet all around, the symbols of the trade are present: St Mary Redcliffe church, overlooking the thriving dockside bars and restaurants, from where the bells rang out in celebration of the defeat of the bill to abolish slavery in 1791 the Bathurst Basin, named after the family, still prominent in the area today, who were investors with Colston in the Royal African Company, led the city’s opposition to the abolition of the slave trade and were among those to receive thousands of pounds in compensation for the loss of their slaves following abolition. As one local adage has it: “There is not a brick in the city but what is cemented with the blood of a slave.”

Dr Madge Dresser, a historian and research fellow at the University of the West of England, moved to Bristol in the early 1970s from California by way of London, and she too was struck by the missing voices.

“There really was a denial of the history of slavery in Bristol. In the mid-1990s there was the Festival of the Sea, a celebration of the city’s maritime past, and not a dickie-bird was mentioned about the slave trade.”

Now Dresser, who organised an exhibition in the late 1990s to help redress the balance, bashfully admits to having a part to play in the fuss over the Wills Memorial Building. “I feel a little responsible because I taught a course at the university on Bristol and the slave trade and tobacco,” she says, sipping tea in her sitting room on the edge of the city, “and lo and behold … ”

“Statues are in a way a diversion,” she continues, “but perhaps these issues would not have been raised had the monuments not been there as a lightning rod. It’s not just apportioning guilt. It’s about acknowledging the messiness of history and confronting our demons. And it’s also really interesting: the slavery period is the beginning of the global economy and all the dilemmas that presents us with.”

One of the reasons this matters, according to Horton, why Bristol has to take steps to acknowledge its history, is because of the decisive role the city had to play in that beginning.

“The key thing about the Bristol slave trade is that Bristol invented how to do it on an industrial scale,” he says. “Bristol merchants worked out how to do it as a triangle: brass to Africa, slaves to the Caribbean and the American South, sugar back to Bristol to be processed.” Only a tiny number of slaves actually set foot in Bristol.

Yet while the other sides of the triangular trade have taken steps to make amends with the past, Bristol has failed to do so.

“In West Africa you see forts that are part of the process of commemoration,” says Horton. “If you go to the Caribbean, you can see likewise that the plantations are preserved as heritage sites and in acknowledgement of slavery. But when we come to this city, the organising fulcrum of this horrifying trade, there is nothing, and yet around us, from 1700 to 1806, around 565,000 Africans were ripped out of their homeland and put on ships funded by Bristol merchants. Some 450,000 survived.”


The Hamlyn Newspaper (The one the player reads) [ edit | edit source ]

Celebrations Planned for Joy Anniversary! [ edit | edit source ]

Wellington Wells is preparing a special celebration commemorating the invention of Joy. According to our archives, Haworth Labs began producing Joy in 1953, and we are thus celebrating our second decade of Joy!

Hamlyn amateur historian E.D. Gibbon, however, claims to have found evidence that Joy is actually an ancient British cusom. "We have always been taking Joy," he claims. "I am an old man," says Gibbon, "and can't remember ever having been unhappy."

Gibbon has made it his life's work to seek evidence of Joy in ancient and medieval manuscripts. He is perhaps best known for his monograph claim that Joy came to England with the Norman Conquest in 1066, though other scholars claim that the "Joy capsules" Gibbon identifies in the Bayeux Tapestry are merely commas. Despite not having been able to convince "the smug elites in their ivory towers," Gibbon remains optimistic "and of course very happy indeed."

Controversy or not, Wellington Wells will go ahead with its 11th Anniversary Celebration, which include a celebrity game of Simon Says, a masked ball, and the Hamlyn Quartet's rendition of Ode to Joy.

A limited quantity of commemorative tea cups and dish towels will be available for all you collectors out there, so don't wait to register, or you will be mildly less pleased with yourself!

Trivia [ edit | edit source ]

Inside this issue: [ edit | edit source ]

SPORTS [ edit | edit source ]

Should Jubilator Jousing be legal? Page 3

CRIME [ edit | edit source ]

Nothing to See Here, Move Along! Page 0

Reg Cutty Meats [ edit | edit source ]

Purveyors of fine meat and meat products. Try our new meat cakes!

Murder Mystery Merriment [ edit | edit source ]

The Hamylyn Thespian Troupe is rehearsing a lively new murder mystery [continued pg.7]

Summerisle Beer [ edit | edit source ]

"Quenches your burning thirst!"

Official Sponsor of the Joy Anniversary.

Anthony's Cooling & Vents [ edit | edit source ]

Call Anthony Sweet for all your ventilation needs.

Trivia [ edit | edit source ]

Geological Society Awards Gold Ribbon [ edit | edit source ]

The Geological Society has awarded its highest honour to Charles Hutton-Lyell for his recent discoveries on seismology.

"For years, the citizens of Wellington Wells have complained that they become easily lost as familiar landmarks appear to move," says Hutton-Lyell. His new research proves that "this phenomenon is not all in your head. Our city happens to be located in an area of unusual seismic activity. Things really do move around."

Trivia [ edit | edit source ]

Uncle Jack Says. Did You Overdo It? [ edit | edit source ]

By Jack Worthing, guest editor: Eleanor Porter [ edit | edit source ]

Some people have noticed that the happier they get, the less they can do! Sometimes they can't put two things together to make a third thing! They also find they can't walk without tripping over things and making a big noise.

If this is you, not to worry! You are just overdosing on Joy. When you've had a little too much Joy, about all you can really do is laugh and skip and run and play, and wait till your Joy comes down to a normal level. In the meantime, enjoy! Enjoy the pink chimney smoke, and the lovely.

Trivia [ edit | edit source ]

It's all Greek (and Latin) to Us! [ edit | edit source ]

Can you imagine Uncle Jack talking like Julius Caesar? Nigel Brasenose, president of the Wellington Wells Classics Society, has begun translating Uncle Jack transcripts into Latin as a hobby. "I can be a bit of a sticky wicket," says Brasenose, "as some English expressions don't have counterparts in the language or Cicero."

Lost and Found [ edit | edit source ]

REWARD: Mrs. Dainty has lost her cat. Have you seen him? He answers to the name Sebastian and likes cake. At least, she thinks he does. If you find Sebastian, please return him to Mrs. Dainty at Thomasina House and she will bake you a lovely cake.

LOST: Miss Laetitia Prism recalls that she once lost a handbag at a train station. She can't quite describe the handbag, as it has been many years since she last saw it, but she earnestly feels it must have contained something precious. If you should see such a handbag, please return it to Miss Prism at Thomasina House.

Trivia [ edit | edit source ]

Corrections [ edit | edit source ]

The Parade District is most certainly not quarantined, as accidentally reported in Miss Gemma Olsen's article of last week. They are merely having an invitation-only autumn festival.

Despite the family's funeral announcement for Col. Thomas Lawrence (Ret'd) (see above), Col. Lawrence, the "hero of Ramsgate," is alive and well at home.

Mrs, Chippy did not actually have a maiden name, as Mrs. Chippy is a cat.


Watch the video: Tota Lopi - Pake ama